Communications Associate - Print Specialist (Part-Time, Leave Replacement)
North Shore Country Day School, a JK-12 independent school in near suburban Chicago, seeks candidates for a part-time communications associate (approximately 30 hours/week) to cover a maternity leave between late March and mid June.
The communications associate will engage with the entire school and be an essential member of the marketing and communications department, working to implement strategic communications initiatives. The marketing and communications department takes pride in partnering with faculty, students, parents, the head of school, admissions, alumni and development and other administrative departments to tell the North Shore story.
There may be some additional opportunities to partner with the alumni and development offices on special projects as the school prepares to launch its centennial celebration in June.
The work is engaging, varied, complex, fast-paced, wide-ranging and essential to the school. As the print specialist, the ideal candidate will leverage their strengths in:
- Writing: Work closely with the director of marketing and communications to strategize, research, write and share compelling stories via press releases, newsletters and magazine articles to educate the community about the school, its people and programs.
- Media Relations: Write compelling and newsworthy stories about student, faculty and school accomplishments. Collaborate with local editors and publications to successfully see press releases and stories in print.
- Website Content Development: Collaborate and strategize with the digital specialist to craft content for our public and password-protected websites to keep the news fresh for prospective and current families, faculty and alumni.
- Proofreading: Draw upon knowledge of AP style to check grammar and complete a first pass of copyediting for various documents—including the first draft of North Shore’s commemorative 100th anniversary coffee table book.
- Graphic Design: Create or update ads, programs, brochures or other marketing materials using Adobe Creative Suite products like Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Graphic Standards: Maintain common editorial and graphic standards across school publications for branding, reputation and integrity.
- Signage and Advertising: Maintain a calendar of signage and work closely with the maintenance department to make sure the appropriate signs are displayed in advance of special events.
- Bachelor’s degree—journalism or English major preferred
- Compelling writing and editing skills required; knowledge of AP Style preferred.
- Strong communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Proficiency in Google Docs required; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop, preferred.
- Basic to intermediate graphic design skills preferred.
- Available to work in the office Monday through Friday from approximately 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. However, the position may (occasionally) require working beyond set office hours to keep specific, time-sensitive projects on track.
About the School
North Shore Country Day School is an independent school for 540 students in grades JK-12, founded in Winnetka, IL in 1919. The school’s mission is to prepare students with a challenging education that requires them to think critically, communicate effectively and engage fully in their intellectual growth and personal development. In doing so, they become self-confident, ethical citizens of the world who embody the school motto, “Live and Serve.”
Email a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and a list of professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.